Technical Report released, learning opportunities available
Detailed final results from the Citizen Dialogues are available
The Citizen Dialogues on Canada’s Energy Future have concluded. Our model has demonstrated that citizens can meaningfully engage in complex public policy issues around contentious subjects, such as energy. We have endeavoured to fully document both the outcomes and process, which are crucial for informing energy policy-makers in Canada.
The Technical Report is a detailed overview of the Citizen Dialogues on Canada’s Energy Future process, providing a synthesis and evaluation of the process and outcomes. Key takeaways of the Technical Report include:
- Citizens overwhelmingly supported a transition to an energy future that achieves a more sustainable and clean environment, while continuing to provide employment and affordable energy
- Participants emphasized that to be successful, this transition needs to include a transition plan to support communities that will be negatively affected
- There was a strong desire for federal leadership and a national energy plan to guide this transition
- Citizens don’t trust government alone to steer the transition and are calling for independent, non-partisan oversight to increase public confidence
The Hill Times op-ed
Further learning opportunities
Webinar – Getting to 2050: What citizens recommend for Canada’s energy future
Date: Thursday, February 1, 2018
Time: 9:30 – 10:30 am PST / 12:30 – 1:30 am EST
We hope you can join this webinar to find out more about what citizens envision and how they found common ground in one of Canada’s most challenging policy spaces.
Ask Me Anything on Reddit/CanadaPolitics
Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Time: Beginning 12:00 pm PST / 3:00 pm EST
Have a question about the outcomes or the process behind the Citizen Dialogues on Canada’s Energy Future? Join Robin Prest, Program Director as he hosts an Ask Me Anything session at Reddit/CanadaPolitics.
- Getting to 2050, Citizen Recommendations: This report summarizes citizen-generated recommendations for Canada’s energy future, which includes a national energy plan.
- Videos: See the videos that highlight the regional dialogues and final citizen recommendations.
- Regional reports: Detailed reports from the Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, and Halifax dialogues are available here.
- National opinion poll: A national poll conducted by Forum Research was used as a basis for participant selection. Full results are available here.